Moving Models

Published on: Author: Harriet Gaston Leave a comment

A staff post by Harriet Gaston, Communications Manager at The Hunterian.

As our model of the first Hunterian Museum has moved across the road to the Hunterian Art Gallery as part of our William Hunter and the Anatomy of the Modern Museum exhibition, we decided to put the space to good use and fill it with our model of the Old College.

The model shows the buildings of the first University of Glasgow, which was located on the east side of the High Street in the city centre. The Old College site was home to the University for over 400 years and was extended and developed until the University moved to its current site at Gilmorehill in 1870.

The Old College buildings were considered to be some of the finest of the period in Scotland and some elements were transported to the new campus. The Lion and Unicorn staircase, added to the Outer Court of the Old College in the 1690s, is now located beside the University Chapel in Professors’ Square, and the Gatehouse now forms part of Pearce Lodge on University Avenue, along with other fragments of the Old College buildings.

Later additions to the Old College included a new library, the Hamilton building and the new Museum Square which housed the first Hunterian Museum designed by William Stark.

In 1863, the Glasgow Union Railway Company Railway Company offered £100,000 for the Old College site. The University accepted and purchased the 43 acre site at Gilmorehill for £65,000.

In 1870 the Old College was converted into a railway station and was eventually demolished, as was the first Hunterian Museum. However, impressive new museum galleries were created within the main building of the new Gothic Revival campus at Gilmorehill, where the Hunterian Museum remains to this day.

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Image credits:

The West Front of the Old College. © University of Glasgow Archives & Special Collections, University photographic collection, GB248 PHU 38/67.

The Gatehouse of the Old College. © University of Glasgow Archives & Special Collections, University photographic collection, GB248 PHU 38/16.

The Inner Court and Tower of the Old College. © University of Glasgow Archives & Special Collections, University photographic collection, GB248 PHU 38/67.

The Lion and Unicorn staircase that led to the Old College Fore Hall. © University of Glasgow Archives & Special Collections, University photographic collection, GB248 PHU 38/43.

Pearce Lodge on University Avenue, c 1960. © University of Glasgow Archives & Special Collections, University photographic collection, GB248 PHU 31/5.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *